palmtrees

Washington DC area Radio and TV Station Photos from the John in Arizona Collection

The Washington, DC area Radio and TV stations photos in the John in Arizona collection are listed in alphabetical order by call letters.

WDCA TV: WDCA-TV Channel 20 licensed to Washington, D.C. came on the air in 1966 just 3 years before this photo was taken of the entrance to their studios at 5202 River Road in Bethesda, Maryland.
WDCA TV Channel 20 Washington, DC 5202 River Road studios - 1969.

WETA TV: WETA-TV Channel 26 licensed to Washington, D.C. came on the air in 1961. The call letters stand for Washington Educational Telecommunications Association. The photo from 1969 is of their studio entrance.
WETA TV Channel 26 Washington, DC studios - 1969.

WGAY: The World Building at 8121 Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, Maryland housed the studios for WGAY FM 99.5 as well as WQMR. This photo of the building with the WGAY signage is from 1969.
WGAY FM 99.5 Washington, DC 8121 Georgia Avenue Silver Springs, Maryland studios - 1969.

WGMS: Now WTNT Radio 570, they were WGMS when this photo was taken in 1969 of their station entrance at 5100 Wisconsin Avenue in Washington DC. They are licensed to Bethesda, Maryland.
WWGMS Radio 570 Bethesda, Maryland 5100 Wisconsin Avenue studios in DC - 1969.

WJMD: WJMD FM 94.7, licensed to Bethesda, Maryland was owned by the Diener brothers. Walter-Jack-Mickey-Dan. The station photo for WJMD 94.7 was taken in 1969. This facility is now WIAD FM.
WJMD FM 94.7 Bethesda, Maryland studios - 1969.

WMAL: The photos of the WMAL Radio 630 and TV Channel 7 studios at 4461 Connecticut Avenue NW are from 1969. WMAL Radio 630 licensed to Washington D.C. came on the air in 1925. Historians may know the MAL part stands for M.A. Leese an optician who ran the station. The 4461 Connecticut Avenue NW location was originally the Chevy Chase Ice Palace. Renamed the Evening Star Television Center. WMAL-TV is now WJLA-TV.
WMAL Radio 630 - TV Channel 7 Washington, DC 4461 Connecticut Avenue NW studios - 1969.
WMAL Radio 630 - TV Channel 7 Washington, DC 4461 Connecticut Avenue NW studios - 1969.

WOL: WOL Radio 1450 is licensed to Washington, DC. Studios were at 2000 P Street NW when this photo was taken in 1969. WOL 1450 came on the air in 1924 as WRHF.
WOL Radio 1450 Washington, DC 2000 P Street NW studios - 1969.

WQMR: WQMR Radio 1050 8121 Georgia Avenue, Silver Spring, Maryland World Building location in 1969.
WQMR Radio 1050 Silver Springs 8121 Georgia Avenue studios - 1969.

WTOP TV: The WTOP-TV Channel 9 Washington, D.C. photo from 1969 shows their 4001 Brandywine Street NW studio location. Channel 9 came on the air in 1949 as WOIC-TV. They changed to WTOP-TV in 1950. In 1979 the change was made to WDVM-TV. Then in 1986 to the current WUSA call letters. They are still located at 4001 Brandywine Street NW.
WTOP TV Channel 9 Washington, DC 4001 Brandywine Street NW studios - 1969.

WTTG TV: WTTG-TV Channel 5 Washington, D.C. came on the air in 1945 as the first staion in Washington DC. Originally a DuMont network station, now they are Fox 5. The print ad is from 1958. Studios are located at 5151 Wisconsin Avenue NW as seen in the photo from 1969 when they were owned by MetroMedia.
WTTG TV Channel 5 Washington, DC print ad - 1958.
WTTG TV Channel 5 Washington, DC 5151 Wisconsin Avenue NW studios - 1969.

WUST: The station photo of WUST Radio 1120 is from 1969. Their studios were located at 1120 U Street NW. The call letters refer to their U Street location.
WUST Radio 1120 Washington, DC 1120 U Street NW studios - 1969.

WWDC: 1260 Washington, DC came on the air in 1928 as WOL. In 1950 they changed to the WWDC call letters. In 1999 the change to WGAY was made. Then in 2001 to the current WWRC call letters. The photo shows how the station looked in 1969.
WWDC Radio 1260 Washington, DC studios - 1969.

All images are the property of John C. Johnson / John in Arizona / johninarizona.com and may not be used in any form elsewhere.

Sponsored Links:






WTOP TV Channel 9 Washington, DC 1958 print ad


WRC TV Channel 4 Washington, DC 1958 print ad

Sponsored Links: